Friday, December 7, 2007

Tired but Good

I'm so ready for Christmas break. For a number of obvious reasons, more sleep (naps, I can hardly wait), healthier food (I know what you're thinking, but I have no where to go but up once I have a break from school, I think I'll go buy some oranges), no school, no commuting, more time with the girls, more time with Darin, more time studying the scriptures and fun books (instead of school books), baking and finishing up Christmas stuff. We're going to the cabin for 5 days after Christmas. I've already gotten Darin to commit to leaving his laptop at home. That is what he did last year. It was 5 days of reading, sleeping, movies, and snow. I can't wait. I think it was perhaps the most relaxing 5 days for all of us that we've ever had. Right now I am listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, last years Christmas CD with Sissel. If you want to treat yourself, this is the one. Oh, I just love it.
So to update on my last blog. Thank you for all of your thoughtful and kind responses. I did have a meeting with the superintendent and middle school principal who is my biggest advocate, and it went really well. All the details aren't worked out yet. But hopefully they will be soon, like in a week or two. First is it legal to student teach as a real teacher and get paid? They need to get a grant to be able to pay me because of our shrinking student population. They predict letting go of 1-2 teachers for next year. So if they do get the grant, will the state pay for a student teacher? Then if they won't pay for a student teacher, but they will pay for a certified teacher then is it legal for me to student teach without a supervising teacher in the room? These are the details that need to be worked out. However, they want me, they want music, they want part time for now (thank goodness). They are very willing to let me do my student teaching there as long as we can figure out the legalities.
My ward choir sang sleigh ride at the ward party this week. It went fabulous, more than anything the choir had so much fun doing it. We had about 45 people sing. We have been having 40+ people at rehearsal every week. Especially since we sang Come Thou Fount. Everyone flipped out about that one. I am so blessed. It is the best calling in the church. My choir members are so wonderful. We will be singing Oh Holy Night, and What Child Is This? for Dec. sacrament meetings. I'm excited. Everyone loves Christmas music. Especially the traditional songs, that everyone knows. I am also directing the children's choir for the Community Christmas Concert in Firth. I have had two rehearsals so far. I hope I haven't already blogged this. Oh well. I had 48 kids at this week's rehearsal. 29 girls, and 19 boys. Grades 3rd-8th. The girls were so wonderful. The naughtiest boys were my nephew, and the son of one of my best friends--Joan. I don't understand boys. I don't have any, only had one brother. It is a bit of concern to me, but I try to just go into my mom mode and snap my finger, point, give the "look", and they shape pretty fast. The thing I don't get about them is that they are very obedient, when I ask them to be, but become disobedient very quickly. The other thing about the boys that is very annoying and I will need to figure out is that they all think that their voices have changed and that they can't sing as high as the girls. Oh please. If they are lucky they will start going through puberty in 8th grade, but according to Darin it doesn't really happen until around 15. So I have little boys, trying to sing like men, and they sound like raspy smokers, because they are trying so hard to sing low. It is pathetic. Is it that they don't want to be like the girls, or that they want to be older than they are. The girls are angels, as usual, I love the girls. But I have to confess, the boys crack me up, and I enjoy them as much, they are just more exhausting.
Gracie is growing up so fast all of the sudden. She is learning new words everyday. She is hard to understand, but is getting more expressive everyday. Last night, I took the girls up to read scriptures and go to bed. Usually she follows, but she was playing. Well, we were up there for about 10 minutes, and we had just finished scriptures and were still in my bed, when Gracie came up. She dropped her jaw in disbelief and with very big eyes asked,"Guys! Wai fo me?" Meaning,"Why didn't you wait for me?" So cute. I just love her and wish she would stop growing. She is my little sweet potato and we love to be together. I can't wait until Christmas break, so I don't have to drop her off at Gabe's (Joan's) anymore. 3 whole weeks!
I joined a freezer cooking club last month. We're having our second trade today. It has been such a blessing. We started with 5 people, and we each cooked enough of two different meals to give one to each person and ourselves, so 5x each recipe basically. Wow, good cooks. Unfortunately, two of our ladies (who I don't understand), dropped out. So that left three of us, Des (just love her), and Donnette (a fabulous cook). So this month we will be bringing 3 different meals for everyone. So including the meals I made, I will be getting 9 meals. These are nice meals too. I highly recommend it, however, I realize everyone doesn't want to be just like me, just most people (just kidding, he he he).
I love you all. Merry Christmas. I miss you. I really do plan on getting new batteries for my camera soon, and will take some pics. Bye.

7 comments:

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Loved, loved, loved, your blog. Even though I knew some of it. That is so cute about Gracie. I can just see that look of disbelief. I am so excited for you to get a break also!! I am glad you have the cabin to go to. I miss the "Beach House". I miss having a place to go w/o responsibilities in my face. But I am truly blessed and will not complain. Oh when we got home we both fell in love with our house again. We defiantly don't want to move. I actually realized I love the size of my kitchen, its perfect for me. I'm glad you have the 3 cooking partners! And yes many people want to be just like you!!!! love you!!!

Danielle said...

I LOVED your blog! I was laughing at many parts. That is so funny about the boys in your choir singing low!!! or at least trying to! haha, you are SO amazing Rebecca. Really. You know why there are 40+ people in your choir? Because of YOU. And I know that you are very spiritual about it too because you told me how you recruit people. I think a lot of choir directors go into the calling being discouraged. You are so amazing and do SUCH amazing things with the choir, and thats why you have so many people! I can't believe how many choirs you are involved with! Just more to come too! You are indeed, an amazing woman. That was such a cute story about Gracie. I don't think we are going to be able to make it to the cabin at all (which is a total bummer to US) but I definitely want us to come visit sometime during these holidays. I will talk with Clay and then call you to work out the details. It's not this often that both of us are out of school with free time! I love you and I love your blogs and I think you are such a good mom. Try and stay warm!!! (it is SO COLD HERE)

Not quite the Bradys said...

Yes, that IS the best calling in the Church! I love doing that. Wish I was doing it now. (SIGH.) Oh well. Probably again. Probably many times. You crack me up about the boys trying to be men. I think it's an insecurity issue- no guy wants to be the last one whose voice changes so they all claim to already be in the throes. Same thing with lots of girls worrying about being the last one to get out of training bra. Ah, adolescence. Thank goodness we only go there once. Loved your blog. Keep posting! I love you!
Amy

Megan and Greg said...

Rebecca I love you so much. I am so glad you are blogging! I feel -not so much closer to you, because I always feel close to you- but closer to your life! I know what's going on! So many details I was unaware of! It's exciting! I'm learning new things about you! There's so much to comment on, where to begin. I had no idea so much music was in your life! All your talents, you really are blessing others lives. And SO MANY!!!! I had no IDEA so many people were in choirs! AMAZING!!!! I bet it sounds wonderful! And SCHOOL!!! So EXCITING!!! I'm so excited for you. I love Gracie too. She is so cute in all the pictures! I love hearing about you reading scriptures! I love it all! And I'm happy you get to RELAX and be with your loved ones. I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Rebecca, you are wonderful!!!!! It is great that you are involved with the community. You must have an amazing ward choir with so many people. It is super that you'll get to have more time to spend with your family. I love your blog. It is so nice to know what is going on in your life. I truly enjoy it. Gracie is so cute, I remember when you said she woke every day with an agenda, and it must still be so. It great that you have such a neat place to go during the winter to relax. Have fun and build a snowman for me. I love you and it will all work out with the job. Grandma

Hi. from me to you Grandpa Cook. I enjoy your blogs. Grandma always reads them to me. Its our time to enjoy you all before we go to bed. We have for some reason been going to bed after midnight and the last thing we do is read your letters. I have a lot of memories of your's and my past. You were a lot of fun all through your life. I can vouch for your abilities as a teacher each time I play my piano. Love Grandpa.

Lizzie said...

Rebecca I LOVED reading this. You are funny...I liked the part about the boys in the choir trying to sound like men. And I for one DO try to be just like you. It's always just a couple years late that I copy you. Except I have no intentions of going back to school. Except maybe for cooking school. Love you.

Lizzie said...

Oh yeah, and your little sweet potato. I wish I could see her. She sounds sooo sweet. What she said is so cute. I can't believe you have a house full of girls.