Sunday, December 23, 2007

Ahhhh. A sigh of relief

I am feeling truly relaxed. I'm in my jammies(there seems to be a lot of talk about jammies lately) and my children are typing up the Christmas program for tomorrow night, which I love. I love children that take over a project. One less thing for me to do. Plus if they don't like the way it turns out, its their own fault. That may sound really negative, but children love to blame their parents for everything, even the Christmas program that went bad. Right Mom? So I am really excited that they are taking over this year. I can hardly believe they are that old. Amazing. So I delivered 25 plates yesterday and today. And let me tell you, the return treats are pouring in. That is not why I handed out so many, but it is certainly a fringe benefit! So I guess it is obvious that I have decided to be like Megan, (so sorry to be unsupportive of you healthy eaters, Mom and Grandma). I unfortunately don't even want to broach that subject. Megan asked about my goody plate--here are the specifics--
Double Decker Fudge (Grandma on the hill's peanut butter fudge, and Walt's fudge, layered in a pan, both recipes in my cookbook)
Chocolate Chip, Hazelnut, Toffee Cookies (from Foodnetwork chef Giada, Everyday Italian)
Almond Roca (which by the way I don't even use a thermometer anymore, I go by color and smell, much easier, color of a paper bag, smells like it is starting to burn or smoke, also in the cookbook)
Butterscotch Haystacks (chow mien noodles, salted peanuts, with melted butterscotch chips, essentially clusters, must use Guitard chips)
7 layer Magic Bars (the girls had a hay day making these, we used salted peanuts unfortunately because Anna is allergic to pecans : (
I thought it was a pretty good plate.
Gracie at this moment is feeding her baby. Now her baby is Baby Alive. She comes with baby food, and a special bottle and actually eats, drinks, and then pees and poops. Unfortunately for Baby Alive, we have lost her bottle. She has had quite a bit of food without water to wash it down. I am amazed the poor dear doesn't stink, hopefully she doesn't vomit too! Gracie loves to be a mommy. Aliese and Anna each got a Baby Alive last year from Santa, and loved them for 3-4 hours, after which they declared that, "She is too much work." She tells you when she is hungry, thirsty, tired, she sings, and says I love you too. Very cute. Gracie loves her. I think however, that Gracie isn't concerned when the baby cries and she doesn't want to help her, she'll just turn her off. The other girls were always worried about her, and it really did turn into work (maybe we should have Baby Alives in High Schools!).
Church was really nice. We had a lovely program, mainly music. My choir sang Oh Holy Night. It went well, even though I was so tired, I barely made it through the song. Conducting is tiring as it is, and I have a cold to boot. I think my body hung on until finals were over, and then it said, "Finally, I have a break!" So now I'm constantly tired, but it gives me an excuse to go to my favorite place--bed. (he, he)
I love you all. I wish you the merriest of Christmases. I wish I was at the coast with you. Happy eating, sleeping, unwrapping(and wrapping), laughing, and loving. Kisses!

2 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

That is so funny about Gracie turning off the baby when she gets to be too much work- haha. Gracie is so sweet and funny. I think it's good you made all those treats- and I think it's stupid that all those people are saying that they hate getting all those treats because that is a LIE, everyone loves getting treats! I am sure they were so happy to get your treats, and that is amazing you had 25 people to give to! You are very popular! WOW! Talk about alot of treats to give away- were there any left for your family?!!! How many batches did you make of each treat?!!! That sounds so fun to make treats with your girls- I love your family so much. I'm glad school is over for you for awhile. I have a cold right now too. I think I didn't take care of myself this term, so as soon as I was done- I got sick. I'm very sorry you are sick, I couldn't imagine, cooking feeling this way. Oh I love you so much and wish you were here. I hope you have a wonderful CHristmas.

janell cook said...

Rebecca, I gave out 16 goodie plates and bags myself. I still watched what and how much I ate, but my neighbors love getting food on the holidays. I love making it. I would do it even if I was sick also, as it is so fun to do. I just can't eat as much as I used to and that is okay. I need to watch my blood sugar, but that doesn't mean I can never have a treat again. Just control the time and the amount. My friends would die if I didn't make the fudge and roca. I am famous for my fudges. I didn't make the peanut butter one this year. I did make quite a few chocolates, and rocky road. I made your dad happy as there was a bit of the RR left for him to eat. Meaning Abe and Tyson didn't eat it all. I sent a lot home with Amy as they had eaten all of theirs over Christmas. We had a lot of fun making it together. They must have liked it as it all disappeared. I can't quit making things, just because I have diabetes, life would be empty without being able to cook the way I love to. Keep on doing what you enjoy or else life loses all of it's zest. I love you so much and I truly am happy you are my granddaughter in so many ways, and I am glad I passed so many of my traditions down to you. May you continue to sing,play,cook, dance and love life. Hugs and many kisses. Grandma PS there is still some left for me to take my friend Cathy some as she cut her hand over the holiday and can't cook anything now. So you can see I made a lot. he he:)