Friday, December 21, 2007

I have 3 weeks

Actually 23 1/2 days if you start counting from when I finished my final yesterday. Yipee! I can hardly believe it. A regular mom and wife for 3 weeks. I so took it for granted before. I miss it, and treasure it more when life seems normal. So I am going to try to make life as "normal" as it can be over my vacation. Of course there is nothing normal about Christmas, but now we can have a "normal" Christmas! I am going to bake all day, with and with out my kids. They have early release and I am saving the easy things for them to make with me. Butterscotch chow mein noodles, 7 layer bars. Before they come home I am going to make a double decker peanut butter and chocolate fudge, and chocolate chip, heath, hazelnut cookies. OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH, yum. The last few years I have not handed out goodies because it seems like people are always complaining about all of the treats. Atleast my friends have compained, not specifically to me about my treats, but about the practice in general. Well, I decided the hell with it, I am giving out treats. I am in the mood. I think people say they are tired of treats because it is the popular thing to say. They appear healthy that way. Well, I think that my choir eats every crumb of my treats every Sunday because they like treats! What a shock?! So I'm doing it this year. It's festive. It's Christmas. It's tradition. Enough of that. So I realized yesterday that it was Dec. 20!!!!!!!!! Yikes. I totally freaked out. When I was writing out my check to Joan for babysitting Gracie and I wrote out Dec. 20 I thought that I must have figured it out wrong. Oh dear. It was an uncomfortable realization. So I decided that I would finish all of my shopping that night (last night). I needed to go to the mall, and was hoping I could get the rest at Wal-mart, (and of course Wal-mart, as much as I love that place, didn't have everything, so I have to go to Broulims today to get butterscotch chips, decent milk chocolate chips, and hopefully hazelnuts). It was 42 degrees when I left and humid. It felt great. Oregon weather, right? Wrong. I don't know what I was thinking. I left wearing a hooded sweatshirt, and birkenstocks. An old standby in Oregon. Well, when I got out of the mall, it snowing. And had been snowing. There was at least an in on the ground. So I shuffled to my car, and drove to Wal-mart. When I got out of Wal-mart, the snow coming down hard and it was getting deep. Unfortunately my cart was not four wheel drive. It was a challenge getting to the van. Then I had to sit in my van and wait for the defrost to defrost (ha, ha), for 10 minutes, because I was not about to scrape in the middle of a snow storm, in my hooded sweatshirt, and birks. The roads were fine, and I could see until Shelley. Then the blizzard really started. Darin would not have even cared or noticed, but for me, I was nervous. It took me 20 minutes to get home from Shelley. Normally a 7 minute trip. By the time I got home it was after midnight and my shoulders were burning from being so tense, but I was home and safe. Oh was I feeling grateful. I felt like a true Idahoan. Idahoans don't dress warmly until it is below zero, and wouldn't think twice about shopping in a snow storm. Wow. New topic. Finals. I hate tests. I hate studying. I like practicing. I am good at that. I was a wreck on Wed. night, very nervous for my math final. At 11:30 that night I was still studying, not understanding and convinced that I would fail and have to take the class again next term. I was so depressed. I can do a pity party with the best of them. I dreamt about math problems and woke up with a headache, and a nervous stomach ache. I couldn't even eat breakfast. Well, I prayed and I prayed, and I had last minute inspiration, as well as many tender mercies, and the test was easier than the study guide. I am sure I won't be getting an A, but I will not fail either, thanks to the holy ghost and love from the Almighty God. He doesn't hold back if you will show faith. I love you all. Merry Christmas!

6 comments:

Danielle said...

oh Rebecca! I loved your post! You are so funny! I love your "to hell with it" attitude. I would never complain if someone like you were giving out treats. I knew what was coming in your story before you even said it! It snowed like crazy here too. I wanted to go rent a movie and usually I just go get it myself. Well, I made Clay go with me because I HATE driving in snow storms. I thought it was funny what you said about Idahoans not dressing warm unless it's below 0 degrees. So many days it is FREEZING and I see boys in t-shirts, and girls in just sweatshirts. I am thinking, 'you HAVE to be freezing...I am in a sweater AND jacket AND boots and I am freezing!' THEY must be idahoans! Alright. I love you!!!!! Have fun having a 'normal' Christmas!!!

Lizzie said...

Rebecca you are so funny and such a good writer. I remember when one of your many dreams was to write a novel. Remember that? Well, I think you should go for it. You have a lot of time on your hands, right? Joking about the time thing, but being serious about you writing a novel. It seems everyone in the family got writing and musical capabilities except for me. What's up with that? I hope Brolims had hazelnuts. Boy will I be impressed if you can even get hazelnuts there. Well, happy baking. I love you so much.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Oh Sweetpea, you are soooooo funny and I love the way you write. It is very late here and I am busy packing, or supposed to be, instead I'm reading the blog. My back was hurting and I had to sit for awhile. I have made so much stuff I am really tired of it. I gave lots of treats away, 14 cans, plates, and bags, and my red tote is full of tins to take to Vancouver. Nicole and I worked until 2:00AM the other night, and I was so tired, I was so happy to see my bed!!!! Nicole said today, gramma do you realize we worked for 9 hours straight, no wonder you were tired. We accomplished a lot though. It was so worth it. Hazelnuts are really plentiful here and I will try to send you some next year. I hope you got my package today, I love and miss you so very much. Grandma

Megan and Greg said...

Thank you for the post! So much to say! So the sweets, you listed 5 in one. Was it 5 or 1? If it's one, I'm curious about that recipe. It sounds like you're feeling better so that's good. I'm glad you're baking. I've decided a similar thing but you'll read about that in my blog. I was a little surprised that you swore in your blog (ha ha). It made me laugh inside. Man, I was feeling bad for myself, driving in the fog to the coast. I would take that over a blizzard anyday. I'm glad your safe. What a day. I can so see you in your burks and sweat shirt in the pouring snow. I love you. I'm so glad you're blogging.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

loved your blog. great story!!! I think you did pretty good in the snow even if you did take 20 min. I'm glad your test went well, you deserve it!! those cookies sound amazing!! I am so glad you have this time to be a mom!!! I think it's great you're giving out treats also!! I think you're right about what your friends say. I love gene kelly also the best. I was the lone man out in my day for feeling that way. Fred was the king! The house on my piano is an advent calendar I got from costco when danielle was home, she convinced me to buy it. I haven't regretted it. I had to glue felt behind each ornament because your dad threatened to throw it into the ocean,because every time he walked past it the ornaments would jiggle and it drove him nuts. So I glued the felt on and now you can't here them at all. Well, if I don't talk to you have the merriest of Christmases, I love you!!!! oh also, I agree with lizzie, you're an amazing writer!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

That is funny about the Idahoan, nto dressing for cold weather until it's 0 degree weather- hahah. You going out in your birkenstocks. you silly girl. Well I'm glad you drove slow in that weather, better to be safe than sorry. I also loved your "to hell with it" line. you are so funny, and I love reading your posts. I love you so much and hope you have a great christmas.