Wednesday, March 4, 2009

No Longer Confused

Well, it's been 4 1/2 months since I've cared to post and share my life with anyone. But it's been a week now since I've had to teach at school and decided it's about time. I want to read all of your blogs and start participating again. I love you all and I miss you.

So, most of you know by now that I took my children out of school on my last day. We are officially homeschoolers, or home learners as Darin and I would like to label ourselves. We are not doing school at home. We are not bringing school home. However, we hope our home will be a place where learning flourishes--whether by study, experimentation, writing or play. Already the girls have shown me how motivated they are to learn. Anna found a Readers Digest book on North American birds at the library in the adult section. It is basically an encylopedia of birds. I assumed it would go unread. How wrong I was. Both girls have spent hours pouring over the book. Aliese just printed her third newspaper. Her most recent edition has two articles and the weather forecast. One of the articles is the second in a series about birds. The other article is about the Boston Tea Party spurned on by the reenactment of the Boston Tea Party that occured this past week. She spends hours researching, writing, rewriting, and typing her paper. Anna requested a math assignment today. Anna wrote a story yesterday for the Reading Rainbow contest. This is all with grandparents visiting!

I realize that it won't always be wonderful, but these last few days have been so wonderful. They are already playing together better, and laughing more. Some of you might like to know my plans for curriculum. Well, I'm not altogether sure. This much I know, for now while we detox our systems and minds from the pressures of school, it's going to be pretty laid back. They both read and write all day. I'm going to insist on music every day. Eventually I will probably adopt a math curriculum, but I'm not ready for that yet. Until then we will concentrate on math facts, money and telling time when they are in the mood for math. I've been very unimpressed with their math experience this far, and I think we need some good drilling in the basics. Otherwise, for now, I think all of the other subjects will easily be covered if I am here to help my children learn what they are interested at the moment. For now the interest seems to be birds and Aliese is particularly interested in the Great Depression. We have two libraries to go to and we will check out as much of whatever they want every week.

I am really, really excited. I probably read 1000 pages last month about homeschooling. The more I read, the more convinced I became. With each book I had more clarity of thought and more love and warmth for my children. I really really really hope that our home learning will last along time. I have a completely different perspective on it than I did last time when we did it with Aliese. I also have a different perspective on being home and working outside the home. I realize now how truly wonderful it is to be at home. I know now how awful it is to work outside the home. I appreciate my husband so much more than I ever did before. I'm so grateful he goes to work everyday without complaint even though he would rather be home with us or out golfing. I really hated working and I was not a happy person when I got home either. I, with the girls, took at least an hour to enjoy being together after a long day at school. The longer the evening went on, the better we got along. The further we were away from school the more we liked each other. And then we'd have to get up the next day and do it all over again. Now we wake up liking each other, and we get to be together all day liking each other!

I'm getting tired of typing. I'll fill you all in more later.
Love you all.

8 comments:

Aliese the Writer said...

More like 1000,000 pages. We go to the library and you get a stack of 5 or 6 books all about home LEARNING and such. I'm glad you are so into it. I hope-well I know-things will be different then it was in 2nd grade. That was not as fun as you'd think. I'm glad we are not doing K12 and that you have researched enough to give us a good year. I've already learned more in writing and that there are birds like Rock Doves that need our help. Can we build a bird feeder since there are some birds that are her, but can't find enough food. That book you called the "Bird Encyclopedia" could tell what they eat. I think it would be lots of fun. Thank you for home learning us. I love you.
P.S. It sounds weird saying home learning us. It is probably not good grammar.

Lizzie said...

I'm so happy that you came first and I can just follow in your footsteps. You'll have many of the kinks worked out before I do it. Thanks for being an inspiration to me. I love you.

Danielle said...

Yay! You're back! I hope it's not months again before you post. I love you and support you and am SO excited for you about all of this! I love you!!!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Aliese's comment was funny. I agree with lizzie. I'm so glad I have you as an older sister, because you're brave enough to try new things. I'm not brave when it comes to trying new things- in teh creative craft world- YES, but- this kind of thing- I'm not very brave, and need someone else to do it, figure it out, and teach me. I'm so glad that you can be our guinie pig. It sounds wonderful what you have done so far. I wish my schooling were like that. That's so cool that the girls are into these birds! And Aliese's newspaper! I'm glad you had that experience to work adn realize that you love to be at home. I'm also glad that the family seems to be getting along better. I love you so much! You are such a brave and intelligent person! THankyou for your example!

Megan and Greg said...

Wow, sounds like you and Darin made the right decision. I'm glad your seeing the benefits of your schooling now! I love you. I'm really interested in all this and your views on school. I guess I'll just have to get you on the phone sometime. Aliese sure has grown up. She sounds like a totally different person on her comment on my blog. That's fun she's writing papers. Remember, I did that? Hers sound more educational, though! I'm so glad you're blogging again.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I have heard about your new adventures with home schooling, and I am glad that you are blogging again. I am happy for you and I think it is wonderful that you want to do this, and it sounds like it will be good for all of you. Our lives sometimes need to change and only we have the power to make these choices and changes. I really admire you for having the courage to do this and the faith to make it happen. I think the girls will be better ajusted to life with you being their advisor so to speak. It is hard sometimes for us to be different than our friends, and peer pressure is really a monster for all of us. The girls are so fortunate to have you for their mom and teacher in an envirmount that is supportive and focuses on their special interests and needs. I am happy you get to stay home with them. I am grateful that you and Darin made good choices in choosing your helpmeets, and what a blessing that you are both happy with each other. We are truly blessed when we go and do as the Lord Commands. I love you all and may he continue to bless you. Grams

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Yea!!!! I am happy and hopeful that this will be the beginning of more wonderful blogs. That is neat to have your own daughter commenting on your blog. You should assign Aliese to help Anna to finish her blog. You know what they say, first learn it, then teach it and it will be cemented. I had such a great time at your home. It truly is heaven on earth! I love you so much!!!

Not quite the Bradys said...

Yay! You're blogging again! "It is probably not good grammar."- LOVE THAT! : )