Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Summer is really here

So the good weather has finally showed up as I'm sure it has where ever you live. We have been having a wonderful few weeks. I have 4 1/2 days left of my break and am loving it. Darin has had the past several days off, so it has been constant, and I mean constant yard work. Unfortunately, starting tomorrow, he is beginning two 68 hour weeks, because the other PA will be on her honeymoon. And no, he will not be making extra money, because he is on salary.

I am almost done with a sandbox. I built it. I put the sand in it. I filled in dirt around the sides (it is in the ground). I am amazing. And yes, we will be covering it to keep the cats out. This morning Darin and I went around to the back of Dennis' land where it is basically a sand pit. However, you'd be amazed what will grow in sand. So basically I broke up the sod (wild field grass), and Darin dug and loaded up the truck. Hard work. But it was free, and good sand. Long story short, I think I am amazing, and Darin thinks this whole project is annoying, and up until yesterday I was going to get the sand myself. Then he decided he would help me, and thank goodness he did or I would never have finished. The kids love it and have played in it already. I'm just finishing putting a border of cinder blocks around it.

I woke up with a headache, probably from dehydration from not drinking enough while working in the heat. I actually had it all night, and started the day with an excedrin. I'm not sure if it's the excedrin, or starting the day with a shovel in my hand, but I've had so much energy. I made homemade hot dog buns (I've always wanted to do that, don't ask me why), homemade lemonade (with honey of course), some healthy cookies (sweetened with honey and molasses), and worked hours on the sandbox. And I have energy left, this is seriously a rarity.

We are having a barbecue tonight, at the girls request. Hot dogs, not hamburgers. Also their request. I really like hot dogs, if they are good hot dogs.

Yesterday we went to the movie together with the girls. We saw Ratatouie, very funny for an adult, the kids didn't get any of the jokes, and it was about 20 minutes too long, but otherwise, good. Our cheap theater is running a kid's movie deal, 12 tickets for $8! And Gracie is free! The movies are older kids movies, but still at the theater, so we still have enough tickets left for two more movies. Of course we got popcorn and pop. On the way to the movie both the older girls said, one after the other, "I brought my money and I'm going to buy candy." I was impressed and told them so, and then Gracie said, very worried, "Daddy, I didn't bring my money." Very cute. The kids shared their candy with her though, they were very generous.

Aliese and Anna have been in swimming lessons the last two weeks, and actually have improved a lot. Aliese dove off the diving board yesterday in the deep end! That is very exciting news, since she is usually hesitant with athletics. They've really loved it. However, last week it was really rough. One day it snowed, so they had a "safety day", teaching them about water safety. The other days they came out with their lips blue, literally, and shivered for an hour afterwards. But miraculously, summer has arrived. So now it is better. We're siging them up for another session. If we don't go broke over it, we actually plan on signing them up for the whole summer.

My garden. I built a new 4 x4 raised bed out of Trex, on Saturday. I planted carrots, parsnips, and onions in it. A few weeks ago I built a 4x 8 (or so) raised bed out of big rocks that Brandt didn't want. It looks really cool, not nearly as sturdy as the Trex, but a lot cheaper (free). I planted a bunch of herbs, green beans, lettuce and arugala in it. We already had planted tomatoes in previously built bed, and we have another one with strawberries. Our strawberries are going crazy and we have some starting to ripen. I can't wait.

The kids are busy reading, writing books, riding their scooters, building their forts (essentially smashing down the field grass and weeds out in the field) and of course being bored. Aliese and Anna have also had two sleepovers in Anna's room together. Darin and I were thrilled that they thought this was fun and a special treat, because they are always complaining about not being able to have sleepovers with friends. Both times I let them make hot cocoa, and stay up as late as they want to encourage contentment with their situation in life. Both times, they slept in until 10:00 the next morning. They used to be so close, and haven't been for about a year. It has made Anna very sad, and I have been praying that they would renew their friendship and my prayers are finally being answered. I love summer. It's just better than the rest of the year.

So last night I was reading gardening books. Two of them I couldn't put down, one in each hand, competing with each other, reading them almost simultaneously, and then I busted out laughing. I had a flashback to when I lived at home and I was noticing all of the gardening books on Mom's shelf, and saying to myself that I wouldn't last one page of those books. My have I changed. I wonder what I'll be like in 10 years. Different again I suppose.

If I allow myself to think about it, I'm crazy homesick. I can't wait for the reunion. I am so excited. For those who are wondering, we will be there Thur. night, and we will be returning on Monday morning. It will be a mad dash in and out because of my school. Arghh. But we will be visiting again, at spud harvest, the end of September or the beginning of October.

I need to sign off and go start the briquettes. Oh how I would love a gas grill. Just add it to the list, that's what Darin says.

8 comments:

Emily said...

Hey Rebecca! I was blog hopping today and I came across your paper on honey, and I read the whole thing! I think it's great and full of useful information. I would love to try honey on some of my baking recipes, but I'm always too scared to. I Like how you listed how much to use and all of that. So thanks, good job! Hope you got an A!

Danielle said...

Rebecca- surprised to see my comment? You will be if you read my latest post- just know- I failed my goal- anyway! I LOVED your post. You are such a hard worker! I'm so glad the girls are becoming close again. I loved the story about Gracie being worried about not bringing money for candy, and the girls sharing with her. They are all so precious and I just love them all so much! I can't BELIEVE Aliese DOVE off of a DIVING board! That is sooo brave. I love how they are doing all these things and are still bored- I'm sure you hate it, but I guess that is just part of being a kid. Well, I love you so much! You are such a good mom-you work so hard for your kids, and that is very apparent.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Hi Sweetie, I loved the blog, and I am so happy for you that you finished the sand box. What a good mom you are. Yes your mom still reads books on gardening, last summer there were seed catalogs and others especilly the green house ones. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree Eh? Sounds like you just love to garden as much as she does. I love it that Aliese dove off the diving board, what a brave little girl. I gave my kids a lot of swimming lessons, as we were in the boat and at the lake a lot. It's great that you can afford to go to the movie now days. It costs a lot for a family to go and so good that you got a neat deal and can afford popcorn and pop. Making good memories is what it is all about. I love you and it looks like I'll see you at spud season. I look forward to it. Much Love grandma

Megan and Greg said...

Rebecca, you ARE AMAZING!!! I can't believe all the things you've built! I didn't know you could do handywork!!! I'm SO impressed! I love to hear that you think you are amazing too. More people need to think that of themselves when they do something incredible! I LOVE YOU!!! Great post! I love hearing about the girls. They sound so sweet and loving. You are such a gardener! I think I stink at it. I'm so mad. I planted poppies a month ATLEAST ago and still no flowers. There is green stuff, who knows if it's a poppie in progress. I should've just boughten flowers and planted those instead of seeds. Oh well. I've got to try the honey thing. How is it working? I can't believe Darin has to work that schedule- MAN!!!!! Just remember someone's on a honeymoon and it's just really nice of you guys to do this for them.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

loved, loved, loved the blog, and yes you are amazing!!! I am so happy for you, you have been doing so many cool and wonderful things. ah yes we eventually become our parents in ways we never imagined! ;-)

glad you have covered the sand box. That is cool about your sand. Your dad tells stories about the sand dunes outside of Rexburg. Weird huh?
oh the snake thing, I don't know if I would go and buy a snake because their predators are crows, raccoons, owls, and etc. I think if they are comfortable in your environment they will come and stay. They do eat quite a few bugs, how much I don't know. I haven't seen any slugs in my greenhouse.

I hate to tell you this but the energy probably came mostly from the excedrin. But on the other hand if you have been working outside every day, you have probably built up your stamina.

Thats cool about the girls. I loved summer for those reasons. I loved Sunday's even more. That was so cute what Gracie said. I love little people!

I am so happy for the girls taking swimming lessons!

I am excited for the Reunion and spud harvest also!

loveyou!!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Rebecca, everythign sounds so wonderful in your life! I am so happy for you. Sorry I was so distracted on the phone, with shopping and the phone dying- I loved talking to you though, and i"m so glad I read your blog, because there were some stories you didn't share on teh phone- that is so so so cute abotu Gracie saying she didn't bring her money- and that is so cool that the girls brought their own money and bought themselves candy! I'm so glad that the girls have had sleepovers together and thhink it's fun. I'm very happy for your family. I love you. and I can't wait to see you guys too.

Not quite the Bradys said...

Hee hee! I can't quite wrap my mind around the image of you with TWO books in your hands. That's funny. And talent. ; )

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Yes Rebecca summer is here, now post!