Sunday, April 27, 2008

Gracie, High School Choir, Coupons

Wow! We're doing great and it's been so long since I've blogged I hardly know where to start. So Darin called me Thursday night on the way home from work to tell me, "I'm feeling rather ambitious and I have several days off, I want to potty train Gracie. Should I go buy her some panties?" Well I told him he had my support but that I thought he would fail and that I refused to help. He understood--I don't believe in potty training. It doesn't work. So far Gracie has actually peed 3x in the toilet! Very exciting. However, not too impressive for 3 days. This is why I don't believe in it. At this rate it will take 6 months. Whatever, if he wants a project, he sure found one. She does look very cute in her panties though : )

So this fall I will be student teaching and one of my classes will be high school choir. Well, Firth hasn't had a successful (more than 2 people) choir in about 10 years. Because of this, choir is unfamiliar and has a stigma attached to it. So I decided to change that. Registration at the high school is in a few weeks and I decided to create some interest. I got a group together--6 girls and 6 guys and taught them a medley from Shrek. They had a great time and sounded great even though we only had 5 rehearsals. They sang at an assembly on Friday. It turned out awesome. Everyone loved it. Their parents came, and they loved it. Hopefully everyone will still remember it when they register. I had a great time with the kids. They were really great.

Coupons. Okay. So Darin and I had an unbelievable experience with buying soy milk at Freddies. I told my siblings about it and Danielle and Amy tried it too and it also worked for them. The milk was on sale for $1.25 a carton--a good deal. So I bought 2 cases--24 cartons. Well, after I bought them and my receipt printed it also printed tons and tons of coupons. One was specifically for soy milk and the others were for anything at Freddies. Well I went back and got more soy milk, used the coupons, and got more coupons. Now these coupons were good ones, $2 off your next purchase, or $2 off of 4 cartons. I couldn't seem to figure out how many I would get so I just kept buying, and when I got home to figure out how much I paid it was about 46 cents a carton--an amazing deal. Before this the cheapest we had ever paid was 92 cents a carton for the Kirkland brand. Well, Darin was determined to figure it out. The next week the cartons went down to $1 a carton. So Darin bought more. This time he figured out that if he bought 6 cartons he would get $6 worth of coupons. So after the first $6, everything is free and we just had to pay 6 cents a piece for tax. Well, we completely bought out everything they had 2x both in Idaho Falls and Pocatello. I have no idea how many we have. 100s for sure. Just in case you're wondering, we drink a lot of soy milk, and yes, we will drink it all before the expiration date in February. After this experience Darin and I were on a high. I would sit around and wonder if it was a once in a lifetime experience, or if we could find other deals like it. So I got online and found out with a little work, I could do similar things at other stores. I found a couple of great websites. On www.biblicalwomanhoodonline.com/blog.htm I discovered Crystal Paine, who is incredible and religious and wonderful in every way. Then she has another website www.moneysavingmom.com/.

So I have been reading and clipping coupons and went shopping for the first time this last Friday with Darin. So you can truly understand why I am going to all of this effort here is what I got for $12 at Walmart, using coupons.
1) 120 oz. of Mini Shredded Wheat, Malt o Meal brand (equivalent to 6 regular cereal boxes)
2) 2 boxes Honey Bunches of Oats (the new chocolate variety that has just as much protein and fiber and only 1 gram more of sugar than the regular Honey Bunches, it's really not that chocolaty, but my kids feel pretty special)
3) 1 lb of strawberries
4) travel size Kleenex
5) 1 can organic tomatoes, Muir Glen brand
6) 4 packages of flushable wipes (for the potty training)
7) 1 box Noodle Roni
8) 2 boxes Kashi crackers (a health food brand)

$12 for all of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were so excited. Then we went to Rite Aide and bought a special hair product especially designed for curling hair, some loose face powder for me, and a nice toothbrush--all for FREE because of mail in rebates. Darin sent the rebates in online as soon as we got home. So all it will cost us is tax. And I'm really excited about the hair product, because Anna has a dance recital this week, and her hair is so hard to curl, I'm hoping this will help. (Curly hair is literally required, and part of the "uniform")

So today after church Darin and I clipped our coupons, looked at the ads and made a plan for this week. I am passed being embarrassed and am now a proud coupon clipper! I hope this is not a fleeting hobby. At least until we get some bills paid. Also--I forgot. Aliese needed some new Sunday shoes, so we went to DI and got a brand new pair of leather shoes for $5. Definitely had never been worn. She loves them too. Size 4 in women's!!! Yikes she's getting old.

Darin has always been extremely cheap and not ashamed, I'm finally catching on. It only takes a few times of getting an amazing deal (like soy milk for 6 cents a carton) or that list at Walmart for $12 to be convinced.

I am being summoned to go watch a softball game over at Brandt's. Playing sports on Sunday seems to be a major part of keeping the Sabbath day holy around here.
Love you all.

10 comments:

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Way to go Rebecca!!!! I have saved hundreds of $ using coupons. I love them. I have never mastered the ones on line, though. I will have to try the website. Good luck with getting Gracie potty trained. The only way I have seen it work is to give a treat each time they pee in the tolit. That is the way Crystal learned. I didn't train Sharon or Alan, my mom did. I did the others and it took awhile. I miss you, good luck with the high school choir. It sounds really exciting. I hope you get your bills paid, grandpa and I paid off the property this year and our federal taxes were high as a result, but it's a great feeling to not owe anyone. It's a GOOD THING as grandpa isn't working much right now, things are slow. We have a lot of good storage and will do fine. Much love grandma

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

Like I always say, you're amazing!!!! I admire you!That is soooooo cool about your choir thing and the coupons.

I agree Darin is nuts, but if he wants to clean up pee messess, more power to him.

Danielle said...

hah. Loved the blog. You are wonderful. That is so awesome about the choir. How smart to pick a song from shrek that everyone in high school loves. You are so talented. I bet they are all way excited to join. You have motivated me with the coupons. I am going to try and save more money. Love you!!!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

THAT IS SO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!! I'm going straight to that website. That is exciting about teh chior! congrats- that's wonderful"! love you. And I would love a fast. As much as I'd love a miracle, I feel like it's mroe reasonable to ask for answers. I want to KNOW what is wrong with me, then we can worry about what to do, right now, I want to KNOW so I can do something ABOU IT!

Lizzie said...

Well, I spent 2-3 hours this morning looking up coupons. I'm going tonight. I'm still jealous of your soymilk deal. If only we had freddies.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

where did you get teh coupons for walmart? do I need to get a newspaper? I could just get a weekly one- ?

Not quite the Bradys said...

Well, since you are all excited about the money-saving and the rebates, here is one for you: Go to Walgreen's. Every month (or couple of weeks?) they have approximately $30 of stuff on rebates. Katie figured this out and has been doing it for years. You buy all the stuff and get your rebate in the form of a $30 Walgreen's giftcard. Then, next month, you take your $30 giftcard to Walgreen's and buy all the stuff on the rebate offer. They even make it easy by publishing a little booklet that you can check stuff off in. You can use the products you want and donate what you don't to a homeless shelter or to the RS for hygiene kits. Kate gives hers to a home for battered women. You send in your rebates and get your new $30 Walgreen's card which you use the next month. Basically, by investing approx. $30 one time, you can get $30 of free stuff once a month forever. Enjoy.

Steve/Dad/Grandpa said...

Rebecca, I am proud of what you are doing in furthering your education and I am proud of what you are going to be doing for the music education for the kids in Firth.

Megan and Greg said...

Softball on sunday-that's hilarious. Love to see you out there with a ball :) Good job on the deals! I LOVE THAT!!! I should start looking too! Thanks for the websites! I love your blog. I'm so glad we have it. Especially once we leave. Ok So for possible travel plans . . . Greg has a month off in December (yeah, I know that won't work) but also a month off some time in the summer (which I guess is more expensive) Oh I don't know. I just wanted to get you thinking about it. LOVE YOU!!!
OH! And good job about the choir! GENIUS PLAN!!!! So clever! Wow! You were made to do this! Maybe you could have some sign/poster up to remind kids about choir at registration?

Megan and Greg said...

Oh, and potty training. I didn't know you feelings about it. I never would have guessed Darin was in charge! I guess that's nice for you!