Saturday, January 19, 2008

SE Idaho

Miss you all. Last night I went to a restaurant that was so Eugene. A big rarity in SE Idaho. It was in Pocatello. I invited my friend Joan to go to a piano recital with me, and very typical Rebecca, no one was there! I went up to the building to look at the poster, and the concert was scheduled for the next day. So we drove all the way down to Poky, for no reason. So we decided to go out to eat. It's called the Bistro. A great restaurant that I had forgotten about. When Darin and I lived there, we were poor because of Darin's schooling, and therefore lack of employment, oh the joy. So we went there two times, I had totally forgotten about it. I was so excited. You have to understand there is a famine of decent dining where I live. Sizzler is considered fine dining here. Have you eaten at Sizzler? Have you had there fish? Please don't be tempted if you haven't. I hear they have a good steak. Darin and I order steak about once a decade and always regret it, so we have little to say on the subject. So back to the Bistro. It was a lovely, eclectic atmosphere, crumbling brick walls, wine corks plugging small holes in the wall, and they sat us down right on top of a heating vent. Oh my. That is going to be my new request, "Could we have a table by a heating vent please?" The food was wonderful, they were having a cajun theme that night. I ordered Crawfish Stew over rice. Then dessert was the real showstopper. A chocolate bread pudding, and I swear I couldn't even find the bread. Very decadent. The dessert was definitely made on the premise. I always ask before I order dessert if it was made on the premise. In SE Idaho, I always get the same answer, "Uhhh, we thaw it out the night before?" It's like they don't even understand the question. They actually employ a pastry chef at this restaurant! What an exciting discovery. There used to be a restaurant by the river by the temple that was also called the Bistro, but different owners. It was fabulous, Darin and I ate there all the time, but of course it went out of business, because no one here understands the difference between good and poor food! Oh the drama of my life. New subject. Movies. We saw Miss Potter this week. Love it! Megan if you haven't seen it you have to. Weren't you the one that always checked out the Beatrix Potter books at the library? Beautiful, inspiring movie. My children loved it also. Even though Anna said, "It's kind of a grown up movie though." So I ran to the library to get some of her books to read to Gracie, and they don't have a single original Beatrix Potter. They were all changed. Either the illustrations or the size of the book was huge instead of the little size that children love. I asked the librarian if there were some originals in a different place. She took me to the same books I had been looking at and showed them to me. I said those aren't her illustrations. She said, "Oh these are her's." I said, "No. See here." I found the title page and showed her who the illustrator was. She looked confused. Pathetic. I hadn't even looked at the title page before that, and even though I had just seen the movie, I would have known before what her illustrations looked like because of all the time we spent at the library as kids. Oh I miss the Springfield library. I should send them a thank you card. As mom always said, "They have real librarians." My librarians don't even know what the illustrations look like for the best selling picture books of all time! Sigh. I will endure. Moral of the story, Miss Potter was a wonderful movie. We watched the Illusionist last night. Hadn't seen it. Most of you probably have. Oh my gosh. Talk about entertaining. We loved it. I think we need to watch the whole thing again. So I know you are wondering about school. The short version, I am presently learning the flute, the drums, conducting with a baton, and music technology. Doesn't music technology seem like an oxi moron? Seriously, it is a challenge. Can't I just practice? It's so much easier. I don't want to learn about software. Ughhhhhh... The weather. Very, very cold. Cold in a way you Oregonians, and Cali people, can't even comprehend. It seems unearthly, unnatural, wrong somehow to be so cold. Did Brigham Young send people up here that were unfaithful to weed them out? And I have a heater! They didn't. There are places inside my body that become cold that I didn't even know existed. I feel acutely every part of my bones. The marrow I'm telling you. My marrow speaks to me now, "I am cold. Why do you live here? I will not allow you to be comfortable in these temperatures. I was not designed to endure this." Then I say, "I know. I have no idea why I live here! No idea. I can't remember! I faintly remember using my cute yellow house, as an excuse. But that seems pretty silly now, doesn't it?" The marrow replies, "Silly? More than silly. Ludicrous! Absurd!" Oh the drama of living in the cold. I will persist. I will survive. I will endure this cold, fine dining barren, ignorant librarian infested place that I for some reason love. With love, adieu.

13 comments:

Darin Leslie said...

From Darin: To quote President Hinckley's father: "Gordon, quit complaining and get back to work". Love you.

Danielle said...

Oh Rebecca, you are so funny. I completely understand what you are talking about with your bones talking to you and discovering parts of your body that you never knew of before simply because they are ACHING from the pain of cold. Oh dear. The other day I was up at 6am getting ready for work right? Well when I went outside the wind chill (which of course, was the day that the wind was causing roads to close) was negative 19 degrees. Yesterday my nose hairs froze as I was preparing my car to drive (taking off the 5 inches of snow piled ontop). You are so funny about fine dining. Clay's cousin Amanda lives in pocatello and has told us about the Bistro I think. Clay and I consider fine dining to be something like Subway, or Chinese. I actually suggested spending our 50 dollars on dinner and a movie and Clay thought it'd be a waste because it'd last only a night. I'm with you guys, it's worth it to me! OH well. I love you! I'm way excited for tomorrow! Oh yes, and the story about the librarian was very funny. I am so impatient with poor service.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

So you are telling me that I should appreciate where I live? I do most of the time, however it has been a cold few days, and we expect more of the same. It isn't like Alaska and North Dakota though. I wore long johns in ND, but wasn't smart enough to in Ak. I have never regretted leaving either place. I have a picture of Ed Jr and I peeking out the window in Anchorage and you can barely see us the snow is so high. It was very dry there and the snow was dry. ND was wet and the cold was really in the marrow of my bones there. We have a pretty nice little library here in Creswell. The lady that runs it was a volenteer for years, and 3 years we voted to have a real one. She is very good and educated. Maybe we could find some real BP books here somewhere to buy for the girls. I love both of those movies, and we have seen both twice. I think I will buy both when they become cheap. I wanted you to know that I loved the Christmas present you sent us and I have listened to the cd in my car until grandpa finally removed it. HA! So glad you sent it to us. Really wonderful thank you. We do have some really great places to eat. Crystal was telling me that there is a fondue place there in Portland that is to die for. We'll have to go there some time when we are feeling flush. She says it is spendy but every bite is worth it. I love you and miss you so much. Granny is trying hard to cope and having a real struggle. Things are pretty much the same and your grandpa would love to see him go so we could take care of her. She can hardly hear now, and that is difficult for her. I take her out when I can and that is not often as it is hard for me to hold on to her when she walks, and teeters around, as she isn't steady on her feet. I do well sometimes to walk around safe myself. I'm not as strong as I used to be:( What a pain!!! Kiss the girls for me. Grandma

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Rebecca did you get the package I sent for Christmas??? Just wondering? Grandma

AMY AND MIKEY said...

hahahah to what Darin said- hahah. I love you blog. It is so funny. I'm sorry about teh cold. I was thinking about that the other night. It was SO cold, and I thought- I can't bare this, and I knwo it's nothign compared to idaho! Dining- sizzler- yowsa. The bistro sounds cool. Lucky you getting yummy food and desert. It just cracks me up to read teh line "I'm learning how to play teh drums." it is just really funny to imagine you playing the drums, I just feel like you need to be a rocker or something to do that. Or a tomboy. You're just so feminine. The librarian- HA- I don't know if Megan read those books- becaquse I was younger, but I checked out those books every time I went to teh library, JUST FOR TEH SIZE of the book and the pictures! I loved how little they were. hahah. I wanted to see that movie and mike said it looked stupid, so we didnt' get it- :( looks like I need to rent it! That is funny what Anna said about it being a grown up movie. I love your girls so much, i love hearing anything about them, especially what they say, or do. The donuts and hot chocolate comment you gave me.... my weakness. Now my money is gone, so will I have the strength to resist the temptation? Probably not. I love you so much!

Megan and Greg said...

It makes me laugh how you find these "ignorant" people that are "pathetic". OH! It makes me laugh to hear your voice when I read. That stinks about the concert mix up, but FUN!!! Eating good food is such a luxury. Greg and I have only eaten out like that twice since we've been married. I can't believe all you're learning in school. I cannot comprehend that coldness, it sounds terrifying. It still worries me not knowing where Greg and I are going to end up. Will that place be cold? What will I do. And I remember why you live there. I remember you said you love that there are real people there. I love you Rebecca.

Megan and Greg said...

I just read your post about your friend and politics, somehow I missed it. I would say "relax,rebecca, it's ok to have differences of opinion" but I know better than that. I guess you just need to decide what's more important- your friendship or your view on politics. Sounds like she's important to you so I just wouldn't get into politics ever, and if it ever comes up just immediately say, "I can't get into this," and change the subject. Keeping your thought's to yourself is still being true to your values- you're just avoiding contention- which in reality is more Christ-like and better than "being right". And honestly, when has anyone EVER convinced someone they're wrong in a political debate. It doesn't happen. People think the way they do. Nobody leaves a debate feeling good. People leave debates feeling OUTRAGED- and what benefit does that have? I love discussing issues when people can remain calm, collected, and open-minded but that's rarely the case for political issues. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

I can tell you read! You write like a writer. I always write and talk differently when I am reading a lot!
I feel for you with the cold. We are having cold weather, and I know it doesn't hold a candle to what you are experiencing, but for us it is cold, and I hate the cold.
I am glad you found a place to eat! Sounds like we need to take a eating trip the next time I come.
I hadn't even heard of Miss Potter, will have to check it out.
Yes, I miss the spfld library, lots of memories there, I went to that library when I was a little girl. But back then it was in the same building as the Best Little Printhouse on the corner of A and Pioneer Parkway. I love you!

Not quite the Bradys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Not quite the Bradys said...

That was weird. Anyway, what I said was:
Oh my goodness- can I get an "AMEN" to the ignorant librarian/missing the Springtown Public Library thing!!! There is no place like home. Even if it is a meth lab infested marijuana plantation. :)

Danielle said...

Hi Rebecca, this is Clay. I thought you needed to know I still can't believe that your hair is straight. I have always been able to tell when someone has had a perm, but with you...It looked so perfect and It fit so well, I would have bet everything that I have that is was natural. To make a story short, I thought you looked very good with curly hair and am proud to be apart of the club. also don't get me wrong straight is great too!

Steve/Dad/Grandpa said...

Dear Rebecca, I think you will never be able to deny that you are my daughter. Now if you can just get yourself lost driving home from church a few times each year then your birthright will be completely certified. You are a great daughter and I love you. By the way, I did not realize what a gift you have with the pen. I think its a great thing also that you do your book club. I have never been much of a reader. Its hard to imagine but I think I read slower than I talk. Anyway, two short books that are my favorites that I would recommend are: "Jonathon Livingston Seagull", and "As a Man Thinketh".
Love,
Dad

Not quite the Bradys said...

Hey Rebecca- ever since you posted this my mind keeps drifting back to it. Then two nights ago I realized that I want to be a librarian when I grow up. I then realized that I should have known this all along because my P. blessing talks about my love of good books. Anyway, thanks for the nudge in the right direction. I think I'll minor in music.